Smoked braunschweiger sausage has been prepared by the recipe and technology of 1938, now can be adapted to home conditions. The taste is very good, moderately smoked, and salty – that’s it. Everyone who has tasted it has given the highest marks.
What is braunschweiger made of
Raw smoked sausage is considered an elite among meat delicacies and is a favorite treat on the festive table. Although not everyone can afford this luxury. And if you pamper yourself on holidays, it’s really the best product.
The distinctive feature of dry smoked sausages, also called hard smoked, is that they are smoked raw.
Traditional recipes for making this delicacy include depending on the variety, wine, cognac, Madera, honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Since the composition of raw smoked braunschweiger sausage contains mostly meat – pork or beef – its color is light brown, pinkish, with the characteristic smell of smoked meat. The loaf should be hard. This indicates that the product is dry and has certain organoleptic properties.
How to eat braunschweiger
- In a classic braunschweiger sandwich: good rye bread, sliced swiss cheese (not cheap supermarket swiss cheese, ok?), red onion – sliced, whole grain mustard, and the braunschweiger sausage. Gherkins on the side. Not a drinker myself, but beer suggests itself here.
- As simple and generic as possible on soft white bread, mayo, a slice of American cheese and some plain yellow mustard.
- It’s also good just by itself.
- Check out our recipes below
We’ll share 3 recipes below: the recipe of the sausage itself, an amazing sandwich, and – you’ll never guess – a pie!
- Beef (nonfat) – 450 g
- Pork (nonfat) – 250 g
- Lard – 300 g
- Salt – 35 g
- Sugar – 2 g
- Black pepper (ground) – 1 g
- Cardamom (minced) – 0.3 g
- We cut beef in cubes 2×2 or 3x3cm. We also cut non-fat pork.
- Salt the raw meat with nitrate salt, stir, put in a suitable container or bag, and
- leave in the refrigerator for 5-7 days at a temperature of +3-4°C.
- After salting, the meat becomes bright red.
- Cold meat is passed through a meat grinder with a grid of 2-3 mm.
- Add spices into minced meat and mix well.
- Cut the frozen lard into 4×4 mm dice.
- Add the lard to minced meat and mix well until the lard is evenly distributed in the meat mass.
- With the finished minced meat stuff a natural or artificial smoke-permeable shell with a diameter of 40-50 mm. The stuffing should be very tight.
- Knit the loaves.
- Place the loaves in the refrigerator for 5-7 days at a temperature of +2-4 ° C.
- For more compaction of loaves, it is possible to make in addition to transverse knitting.
- After that, the loaves are kept at room temperature +22-25 ° C for 12-24 hours.
- Loaves turn red.
- Place the loaves in a smokehouse and smoke for 24-48 hours at a temperature of +32-43 ° C.
- or 5 days at +18-22°C.
- After smoking, the loaves are dried at a temperature of +12-15 ° C and 75% humidity for 25-35 days.
I dried in the door of the refrigerator “No Frost”.
After 30 days of drying the loaves lose 40% of their original weight.
- grain bread – 2 pieces;
- feta cheese – 50 g;
- parsley – 2 twigs;
- salad leaves – 2 pcs;
- braunschweiger – 8 slices thinly sliced;
- cucumber – 8 slices;
- Let’s stretch the feta with a fork. And we send the bread to the toaster.
- Add finely chopped leaves of parsley, spice to the cheese.
- Let’s put the feta on both pieces of bread.
- We put salad leaves on top.
- Next, let’s lay out the braunschweiger slices.
- And some cucumber slices.
- We put one “sandwich” on top of the other.
- Cut diagonally with a sharp knife.
And enjoy our breakfast!
- flour – 800 g
- oil – 100 g
- sugar – 50 g
- yeast – 4 tbsp.
- milk – 125 g
- eggs – 5 pcs.
- lemon – 1 pcs.
- raisins – 200 g
- nutmeg – 50 g
Pour flour on the table, make a hole in the middle, put butter, pour out milk, add eggs, sugar, lemon peel, nutmeg, yeast. Mix all this well, add raisins. Roll out the dough, lay large raisins on the edges, fold and pinch the whole length of the cake so that the distance between each “pinch” is two cm. The pie is placed in a warm place for a while. Then splash with melted butter, sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon. Bake for one hour.
I hope you enjoyed our braunschweiger recipes! Which one did you like best?