The crawfish meat is one of the seafood delicacies. The nutritious and delicious product contains large amounts of protein, iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin B, and PP.
How to eat crawfish
Crawfish has a shell. To try the meat you need to properly remove this natural protection. This is why crawfish are served with special cutlery – small tongs and a fork to extract the meat.
The most nutritious and meaty parts of seafood are the tail and belly. In restaurants that prepare seafood, they are served stripped and peeled. You can also use a fork to extract meat from the shell and split their claws to suck the meat.
When is crawfish season
Crawfish season can last from November to July, especially during an exceptionally warm and wet winter, but the most reliable months-and the time you’ll find the best crawfish-are in the springtime and early summer, from late February through May.
How to cook crawfish
Crawfish is an “improved” version of shrimp. And you should cook crawfish in a similar way, but they are more delicate and sophisticated. In addition, crawfish are easier to clean and more convenient to eat (because of its size). You can make soup, salad, main course, snack or sandwiches with crawfish. The recipes for crawfish are not very complicated – the seafood is already tasty, so the main task of the chef is to decorate and serve crawfish beautifully. Can you manage?
In this section, you will find crawfish recipes with step-by-step instructions. We’ll tell you and show you how to cook crawfish at home quickly, easily and deliciously!
Ingredients for stuffing:
- chopped parsley – 4 pcs
- mayonnaise – 6 teaspoon
- grated cheese – 6 teaspoon.
- sweet mustard – 1 teaspoon
- crawfish – 80 g
- ground red pepper to taste
- boiled egg – 2 pcs
Ingredients for the dough:
- salt – to taste
- wheat flour – 1 cup
- margarine – 40 g
Combine the flour with salt, add sliced margarine, 2 tablespoons of water and mix the dough. Form a ball of dough, cover it with a napkin and cool for 20 minutes. Roll out the ready dough in a 1 cm thick layer, place it on a baking tray wetted with water and make a few small cuts with a fork. Chop the egg, combine it with herbs, mayonnaise, and mustard. Place the prepared stuffing on the dough, place the sliced crawfish on top, add pepper and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake the crawfish pie for 20 minutes. Before serving, cut the pie into portions.
How to boil crawfish
Boiled crawfish is a great snack for a glass of beer. And if you don’t know how to boil crawfish, whether it’s freshly frozen or not, I’ll give you all the details in this recipe.
- Crawfish – 4 pieces.
- Bay leaf – 2-3 pcs.
- Milled mixture of peppers – 0,5 teaspoon
- Scented pepper – 2-3 pcs (optional)
- Black pepper – 5-6 pcs (optional)
- Salt – 1 tsp. for 0,5 l water.
- Orange juice – optional
I like to eat boiled crawfish, poured with orange juice. You can replace it with lemon juice, of course, but that makes it sour. For friends, I cook seafood with a pod of fresh hot pepper in the broth. When you eat warm boiled crawfish, the burning flavor is not noticeable, but if they cool down, you will definitely feel bitterness on your lips.
You can add any other products to your taste when boiling: dill or parsley greens, ground coriander or nutmeg, etc.
- Boil water in the pot and sprinkle salt into it. Place crawfish and add bay leaves.
- Sprinkle the rest of the seasonings, spices, or spices to taste. Warm the cooked seafood, bringing the water to the boil, and boil freshly frozen seafood for 3-5 minutes, depending on their size. At this stage, we can add a pod of hot pepper, and possibly two at once, if you prepare a dish for men.
- Be sure to leave the seafood in the broth to room temperature so that when it cools down, it absorbs all the liquid in itself and becomes fragrant and tasty.
- After that, we put them on a plate with a sounding board to make sure that the glasses are free of excess liquid. Salt it.
- We will pour boiled crawfish orange juice on request, decorate it, and serve it to the table.
Crawfish and noodles in creamy garlic sauce
- Spaghetti 250 g
- Crawfish 200 g
- Cream 150 ml
- Cream butter 20 g
- Onions 50 g
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Parsley 20 g
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Chop the garlic and onion finely.
- Melt the butter. Fry onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the peeled crawfish. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the cream, bring to the boil.
- Add parsley and turn the heat off.
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Mix with sauce. Serve as warm as possible.
Salad with crawfish
- Crawfish tails – 300 g
- Cherry tomatoes – 4-5 pcs.
- Egg – 4 pcs.
- Avocado – 0,5 pcs.
- Lettuce – bundle
- Arugula – 0.5 bundles
- Salt, pepper – to taste
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp.
- White wine vinegar – 1 tsp.
Are you planning a romantic dinner? Prepare a salad with crawfish. Very beautiful in appearance, tasty, light, and low-calorie. All ingredients are perfectly matched to taste. And with all these virtues, the salad is cooked for 15 minutes.
- For crawfish salad, take the products from the list. The crawfish tails need to be defrosted beforehand. Boil eggs no longer than 5 minutes, cool them in cold water.
- Clean the tails of crawfish from the shell, leave the tail. Do not forget to remove the intestine, which goes along the length of the top of the tail exactly in the middle. Dry the tails with paper towels.
- Heat a spoonful of olive oil in a pan, fry the tails of crawfish on both sides for 1.5 minutes. Place the finished tails on a paper towel so that the extra oil is gone.
- Wash lettuce and arugula, cover with a paper towel and place it on a serving plate.
- Wash the tomatoes, cut them into quarters, put them on the salad.
- Peel half of the avocado, cut as you like, put it on top of the salad.
- Peel eggs cut them into two pieces along the way, also lay them on the salad.
- Spread the tails of crawfish on top of the salad, add pepper, salt a little, sprinkle with white wine vinegar, add olive oil dressing.
- Serve the salad with crawfish immediately after cooking.
- Crawfish – 4 pcs.
- Lemon – 0,5 pcs.
- Orange – 1 pc.
- Chili pepper – 1 pc.
- Onion red – 0,5 pcs.
- Salt – 2 pinches
- Olive oil – 0.5 tsp.
- Basil vinegar – 0,5 tsp.
- Bay leaf – 2 pcs.
- Pepper – 5-6 pcs.
Ceviche with crawfish is a very tasty Peruvian seafood dish. However, in that country crawfish was prepared immediately after it was caught – fresh, marinated in lime juice. But nowadays, in shops or supermarkets, you can only find frozen crawfish, because in our region such seafood is not caught and does not grow. By the way, ask the sellers what kind of goods they sell: freshly frozen or boiled and then frozen. In any case, crawfish will have to warm up, but in the boiled-frozen version, it takes only 1-2 minutes, and in fresh-frozen version – 3-5 minutes.
So, let’s prepare the necessary products and start cooking!
- Squeeze the juice out of half an orange and half a lemon.
- We’ll pour it into a deep container where we marinate seafood.
- In the pot, we will boil water with salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Let’s put crawfish in it, leave it for 1-2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- We leave it to cool for 15 minutes so that the seafood will draw in the aromatic broth.
- Remove the shells. Be sure to remove the intestinal vein that passes through the whole tail of crawfish.
- We’ll put it in citrus juice and leave it for 20 minutes.
- At this time we will fillet and cut the orange pulp of the remaining half of the citrus fruit. We’ll slice the half of the red onion into small cubes. Clean the chili pepper from the seeds and carefully slice it into a container along with washed greenery parsley or dill. Spray everything with basil vinegar and vegetable oil, mix it.
- Put the salad on the dish, decorate it with slices of lemon. Add pickled crawfish and serve ceviche to the table with a glass of white wine.