Rockfish is great and delicious food. Today we’ll share 3 great recipes that you can easily make at home. Enjoy!
The rockfish in the foil is the ideal dish for outdoor cooking. Perfect on the grill, in coals, but also good in a regular oven. Easy in preparation and catching a large rockfish fillet is all you need for a deliciously cooked fish.
Baked rockfish recipe
The recipe is simple, and the rockfish in the foil is good. A great hot snack or a second course with a vegetable side dish, which can even be cooked on the beach, laying a fire. By and large, this recipe can be used to cook rockfish of any size, but large rockfish are preferable.
- Big rockfish – 1 pcs.
- Onion 1 pcs.
- Carrot 1 pcs
- Tomato 2 pcs
- Parsley, basil 2-3 twigs.
- Garlic 1-2 cloves
- Olive oil 2 tbsp.
- salt, black and fragrant pepper, coriander, dry aromatic herbs spices
- The rockfish can be caught or bought. In the first case, the dish is twice as tasty.
- It is preferable to cook rockfish in foil from sufficiently large pieces, weighing up to 1 kg. First of all, it is more convenient, as there are many difficulties with small rockfish. Secondly, in large fish, there is more meat and bones are much easier to choose. And thirdly, it is always better if one fish per serving.
- Baked rockfish in the foil is prepared from fillet with skin, which can not be cleaned of scales. it is worth to treat fish with precautions. River rockfish are thorny like a porcupine. It is better to use a special glove-ring made of metalized filament.
- Cut the belly and remove the insides. Thoroughly wash the fish. It is necessary to cut all the rib bones inside the fish cavity along the spine. Cut out the entire spine with a sharp knife. The head and tail must be left. It should be a fillet on the skin and the fish itself should be folded out as a book, fastened in the area of the dorsal fin. If it is possible, remove all the large and ribbed bones.
- Mix and grind with 0.5 tsp. salt, coriander peas, and dry aromatic herbs (basil, oregano, savory), 4-5 black peas, and 1-2 peas fragrant peppers. Sprinkle rockfish fillet to taste from the inside. Grind the clove of garlic and rub the fillet with it. Leave rockfish fillet and spices to stand for about 30 minutes.
- Cook the stuffing from the fried vegetables. Peel the onion and chop it into a coarse straw. Peel carrots and grate them on a coarse grater. Scald tomatoes and remove seeds and hide, cut tomato pulp very finely. Preheat olive oil in a pan and fry onion and carrots until soft.
- Add a mixture of spices to taste and tomato flesh. Braise on low heat for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and continue to stew until the vegetable mixture is thick and almost leaks.
- Add very finely sliced greens and remove the vegetables from the fire immediately.
- When the stuffing is ready, put all the vegetables inside the rockfish and distribute them evenly.
- Cut the fillet in half, closing the stuffing. Wipe whole fish dry with napkins and grease with olive oil.
- Wrap rockfish fillets in food foil, tightly and tightly enough. Punch the tip of the knife or toothpick the foil in 1-2 places on both sides. This is necessary to control the process – by trickling steam.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Put a bundle of rockfish in the foil on a pallet or in a baking mold and place it in the oven. In principle, fish is prepared quickly, but some time is needed for heating. As soon as there was a trickle of steam from the punctures in the foil, the fish began to cook. For safety reasons, let the rockfish in the foil will warm up for 15-20 minutes. Then, cut the foil and turn it around so that the rockfish in the foil lay like on a plate. Let the fish be baked for another 20 minutes. The main sign that the rockfish in the foil is ready is a delicious smell. Total time to bake rockfish in the foil – more than 1 hour.
- Take out the fish in the foil from the oven. Careful, try not to burn your fingers. turn the foil around and put the fish on a plate.
The rockfish in the foil does not need a side dish, the stuffing from the vegetables is enough. you should add some greenery, and maybe a slice of lemon. If you wish, you can add sliced fresh tomatoes, cucumbers.
Rockfish meat can be easily separated from the skin with scales, If desired, before serving, you can cut meat and skin with a large knife.
Rockfish fillet in sour cream sauce
- rockfish – 2 pcs.
- vodka – 3 tablespoon
- salt, pepper – to taste
- sour cream – 3 tablespoon
- fish seasoning – 1 teaspoon
- almond petals – 1 tablespoon
- parmesan – 2 tablespoon
- lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Peel off the scales and remove the black film in the abdomen. Make longitudinal incisions along with the carcass on both sides.
- This step is not obligatory, vodka adds softness and juiciness of fish, a little softened the fish smell. Put the fish in a bag, add vodka, tie the bag tightly and turn it over several times so that the vodka evenly spreads over the fish. We leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- We make the sauce. In a bowl put sour cream, add seasoning for fish, salt, pepper, lemon juice.
- Cook the sauce. In a bowl put sour cream, add seasoning for fish, salt, pepper, lemon juice.
- Send it to a preheated oven to 200 ° C for about 20 minutes.
Rockfish recipe with mushrooms
- rockfish – 500 g
- champignons – 400 g
- garlic – 2 pcs.
- butter – 25 g
- saffron – 2 g
- cognac – 30 ml
- olive oil – 25 g
- leeks – 150 g
- black pepper – to taste
- Heat in a small cognac saucepan and mix it with saffron, give it five minutes, and melt butter together with cognac without bringing it to a boil.
- Oil the tray and put rockfish fillet on it, pour marinade on top of the fish, salt, and pepper.
- Cut mushrooms into quarters and fry in olive oil for five minutes, add finely chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and remove from the fire.
- Fry leek until soft in the remaining oil, salt, and pepper. Place a tray with rockfish in the oven (180 degrees) for 10 minutes. Serve with mushrooms and leek.
The appearance of the individuals is directly related to their habitat. Deep-sea fish are bright pink, have round eyes, this is a consequence of living in constant darkness, to which they have thus adapted. Darker bodies of coastal sea creatures are painted with longitudinal stripes and spots to make it easier to camouflage among algae and hunt for small crustaceans, fishes, and invertebrates. They grab their prey, suddenly jumping out of the thick underwater vegetation. Their size varies from 20 cm to almost one meter, and the largest fish sometimes weigh up to 15 kg. Sea rockfish can be called a long-liver, some of these individuals die at the respectable age of 15 years.
The body shape of the rockfish from the sea depths is very similar to an ordinary river rockfish. But these fish are very different in their inner and outer structure. These individuals are not only in different families but even in different groups. The rockfish is a representative of prickly fish. This ruffled fish is found in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, mainly in northern latitudes. And for the most part, rockfish are more likely to choose the American coast than the Asian coast. Deep rockfish are not connected with the bottom in any way, they swim so far from the shore that they can be found even above the deepest oceans.
The most famous subspecies of rockfish: Atlantic golden, Pacific beak, beak-wing, pinch. Some of them are already listed in the red book because of the strong decline in population. However, they are still caught en masse. There is another problem, it is the use of bottom trawls when catching rockfish. These devices contribute to the destruction of coral reefs and sponge and underwater communities whose recovery is very slow. After one of the largest rockfish overfishing in the eighties of the twentieth century, the numbers of these fish declined dramatically. Considering that this species of fish grows for a long time and only reaches puberty by the age of ten years, this has been detrimental to their recovery. Scientists of that time advised fishermen not to exceed the existing annual allowable catch, but the allowable figures were exceeded by several times, as the demand for smoked rockfish, which bore the proud folk name of “council wings”, increased dramatically.
The reproduction of rockfish has its interesting features. The fact is that the female half of this species does not mosquito caviar, and gives birth to formed fry, whose number sometimes exceeds 2 million, while other live-bearing fish can produce only about a thousand individuals. The rockfish, unlike its parents, is found on the surface of the ocean, where it is eaten away by plankton.
Today, you can buy rockfish salted, smoked, or freshly frozen form, whole or cut in the fillet. This fish is very tasty, so it is in high demand. You can cook it in any known way: fry, cook, bake, salt, smoke, etc. Tender and fatty rockfish meat can be stored frozen for a very long time. And the best flavors are salted rockfish, which was prepared immediately after capture, right in the sea.
What is rockfish
Rockfish is a deep-sea fish, it has a monochrome or spotted striped color, most often found with pink or red tones. The fish has round large eyes, and from their fins stick out sharp rays, which lurks poisonous glands. Rockfish comes from such family as Skorpenovye. There are almost a hundred varieties of fish in this family.
The carcass of this fish contains a significant amount of fish oil, which in turn is a lot of polyunsaturated fatty acids omega-3. These acids are known for their benefits, they help regulate metabolism, reduce harmful cholesterol, and are an excellent preventive agent for cardiovascular diseases and diseases of the nervous system. Sea rockfish meat has a lot of excellent protein that is easily digestible, and a significant amount of taurine has a positive effect on cell and tissue growth, taurine is also active in metabolic processes.
All vital vitamins (B, A, PP, C, D, E) are present in this fish in sufficient quantities. Micro- and macronutrients are also present here in almost full composition. This is what makes the rockfish such an important dish on the table of any person, and especially children, pregnant women, and the elderly.
The caloric value of rockfish is only 103 kcal per 100 grams of the product.
The fish is juicy, delicious. It has a pleasant pronounced fish taste and rich aroma. Unlike other fish, it has almost no unpleasant specific fish smell. The amount of fat in larger individuals is much larger and is concentrated in the fin area.