The easiest of all wild rice recipes: how to boil the wild rice
Step 1. Rinse the rice well under running water. Shake off any excess water.
Step 2. In a large pot, boil the water and salt. Add the rice, stir thoroughly, bring to a boil over a strong fire. For 1 glass of wild rice, take 3.5 glasses of water.
Step 3. Reduce fire to a minimum, close the pot tightly with the lid and cook the rice, trying not to open the lid, for 35-45 minutes. You’ll get about 3.5 glasses of cooked rice.
Wild rice recipe with vegetables
- 1.5 cups of wild rice
- 2.5 cups of water
- 0.5 medium zucchini
- 1 cooked corn
- 0.5 peppers
- 1 small carrot
- 1 potato
- 50 g butter
- 50 g soy sauce
- dill, salt, freshly ground pepper – to taste.
- Pour the rice into boiling water, cook over low heat with the lid closed for 40 minutes, salt at the end of the cooking process.
- In a saucepan melt the butter, fry the onions and carrots, peel and slice into small dices, until soft.
- Add the pepper, peeled and diced, zucchini, and cook for 7 minutes on medium heat, stirring.
- Add corn, ground pepper, soy sauce, and heat over a strong fire for 1 minute, stirring.
- Serve and sprinkle with finely chopped dill.
402 Kcal, protein – 12.5 g, fat – 12.2 g, carbohydrates – 61.1 g.
Wild rice recipe with nuts and raisins
- 100 grams of Basmati rice
- 100 grams of wild rice
- 1 bulb, brush, cut in half rings.
- 70 grams of raisins
- 100 grams of walnuts
- 25 ml of olive oil
- 25 ml of frying oil
- 2 st.l. balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boil ground rice and add boiled wild rice to it. Mix well.
- Grill nuts in an oven heated to 180 ᵒС or in a dry pan. Leave until completely cooled, then chop them.
- Add the raisins in a deep bowl and pour boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Preheat a small frying pan with cooking oil and place sliced onions. Salt to taste and fry, often stirring, until the onion is golden.
- Chop the raisins, chop the nuts and add to the rice together with the onions. Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Salt to taste and season with black pepper. Mix well.
- Serve wild rice with raisins and nuts as a side dish to meat and poultry or as a separate dish.
Such wild rice is perfectly combined with chicken baked in bacon.
Now that you know how to make wild rice, let me share some nutrition facts, and let’s see if it is good and healthy for you.
Wild or black rice among grains is the “champion” as it contains many vitamins, proteins, and elements. If we compare black and white, the second one contains very little protein and vitamin B1. Because of the absence of this vitamin in Asia some time ago, there was a very widespread disease of beriberi (avitaminosis), which is characterized by a disturbance of the processes of carbohydrate and fat metabolism in cells. The result is the accumulation of blood in the nervous system, leading to various diseases associated with it. In modern society, this disease is rare, but it clearly demonstrates the danger of mono diets based on regular rice.
Another exceptional feature of wild rice is its anthocyanins or antioxidants, which give it that shade.
Wild rice nutrition facts
Speaking about the chemical composition of wild rice, first of all, it should be noted that it has no cholesterol and virtually no fat. The energy value of the product is about 100 kcal per 100 g of product.
It contains (per 100 g):
- Proteins – about 4 g.
- Carbohydrates – about 20 g.
- Fats – less than 1 g.
Chemical composition of wild rice
Potassium – a trace element that is responsible for normal body growth. Together with magnesium, it has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system. It is also needed to maintain fluid balance in the body, energy transfer, and storage.
Calcium is the main building element for bone tissue. The strength of bones, teeth, and nails depends directly on its quantity. It is also essential for intracellular metabolism.
Magnesium – a substance that plays a regulatory role. It controls more than 300 enzymes in the body, together with potassium is necessary for normal heart function. It is also directly involved in the processing of food into energy, as well as the absorption of potassium and vitamin C.
Phosphorus is a macro element that is essential for the recovery and growth of connective and cartilage tissue.
Iron is one of the most important elements required for the normal functioning of the human body. It is involved in the processes of hematopoiesis and the delivery of oxygen to every cell in the body.
Manganese – an element that is essential for the strength of bones, the formation of cartilage and joints, as well as to maintain regulation of blood sugar content. Its sufficient amount is to prevent diabetes.
In addition, wild rice contains vitamins B, A, and E, elements: zinc, sodium and copper, and folic acid.
Is wild rice healthy?
Unlike most varieties of rice, the wild is not subject to grinding, that is purification. It is a process that removes the shell and directly the germ containing most of the nutrients.
Recent scientific studies have shown that due to the presence of insoluble dietary fiber, black rice reduces and eliminates inflammatory processes in the body that cause allergies and asthma. Cooking wild rice can be safely incorporated into any diet menu.